contractor plans to notch end of I-beam

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
based on your drawing..NO that is taking out half the beam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tell the contractor to STOP...either submit engineering approval for notch or

the manufacture of the beam signing off on the notch.

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Critical zones.jpg

holes-500x240.jpg

Last edited:
Update: I put a stop to notching the beam. I got a heating/cooling professional to move the water line and another water/heating line that turned out to be in the way, so that the beams could be installed without any cuts. They ended up notching the foundation walls to create beam pockets as originally specified in the contract, and the piers are there for secondary support. There are also five jack posts along each beam.

The house stood for 60 years with only one beam down the center. This may not be the perfect solution, but the weight of the house is going to be better distributed than it has been.

Thanks to all for your input.

Update: I put a stop to notching the beam. I got a heating/cooling professional to move the water line and another water/heating line that turned out to be in the way, so that the beams could be installed without any cuts. They ended up notching the foundation walls to create beam pockets as originally specified in the contract, and the piers are there for secondary support. There are also five jack posts along each beam.

The house stood for 60 years with only one beam down the center. This may not be the perfect solution, but the weight of the house is going to be better distributed than it has been.

Thanks to all for your input.

I think most here feel better... :beer:

Back