How to attach CPVC to brass valve?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
This valve is hot water under sink for both sink and dishwasher. They only had brass at HD for valves with two 3/8" compression outlets.

Will CPVC primer + CPVC cement adhere CPVC to brass?

1130171354.jpg

Last edited:
If it is the right one for the pipe you take the nut off and put it on the pipe, there is a ring inside. put that on the pipe after the nut. and hold the valve up and tighten the nut. The ring is the compression part. It squeezes the pipe as you tighten the nut. The ring and nut will not come off if you want to change something later.

If it is the right one for the pipe you take the nut off and put it on the pipe, there is a ring inside. put that on the pipe after the nut. and hold the valve up and tighten the nut. The ring is the compression part. It squeezes the pipe as you tighten the nut. The ring and nut will not come off if you want to change something later.

Okay thanks. So no glue necessary?

Why do you say the ring and nut won't come off at a later time? Wouldn't I just have to unscrew it and slide them off?

Okay thanks. So no glue necessary?

Why do you say the ring and nut won't come off at a later time? Wouldn't I just have to unscrew it and slide them off?

It is a compression fitting, the ring compresses and is smaller than a new one.
It does not expand back to shape when you loosen the nut.
Think about as being a little like crimping a pex fitting , the ring gets smaller to trap the pipe,

I don't think that the compression fitting is made for CPVC. It is made for copper. You will need to convert from CPVC to copper before you can use that valve.

Where did you find a faucet with CPVC connectors, most faucets have soft copper or are direct connect.

Where did you find a faucet with CPVC connectors, most faucets have soft copper or are direct connect.

I thought faucets were fed through a 3/8" faucet supply line? That is what connects to one of the outputs of this valve, the other going to a dishwasher.

Without starting a new thread, is there a way to clean up my sloppy mess that I made with the PVC primer and cement? Or should I just be neater next time? Could I paint over it?

1130171532.jpg

I thought faucets were fed through a 3/8" faucet supply line? That is what connects to one of the outputs of this valve, the other going to a dishwasher.

Yes, in soft copper, not CPVC.

Dishwashers are connected, again, with soft copper or flex.

Sand with emery cloth, dampened, or scrape with a utility knife.

Last edited:
Without starting a new thread, is there a way to clean up my sloppy mess that I made with the PVC primer and cement? Or should I just be neater next time? Could I paint over it?

Those pipes want to point into the cupboard and the valves go on last, inside the cupboard

Also, the faucet connector will have a 1/2" male pipe thread, so save yourself some headaches and purchase threaded valves, 1/2", 1/2", 3/8" and 1/2", 1/2".

Back