Unique Toilet Repair Question... Help Plz

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoDodgers

Reaction score
so i was changing the the rubber flapper and the plastic nut, that tightens the flush handle to the tank from the inside, went down the flush valve (i think its called, what the rubber flapper covers). i shut off the water to change the flapper but the water that was still in the tank flushed the toilet and took the plastic bolt down the valve. havn't turned on the water or flushed it since. the bolt was probably about 1-1.5 inches. thoughts? Did i just destroy my toilet?

my toilet is a LAMOSA, modle: SAHARA if that helps any.

much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Was it the plastic nut that goes right behind the flush handle? I guess there could be a bolt there, but i don't know of any.
The water from your tank goes to fill the bowl, so unless you find it in the bottom of your bowl, it might still be in the lead-out from the tank. you may be able to fish it out.
The big box stores sell replacement handles for various toilets and you may be able to find a replacement or possibly just take the missing piece off the replacement.

toilet anatomy.jpg

Last edited:
yea im sorry you're right, i meant the nut, not the bolt. i tried to fish it out with a wire coat hanger with no luck. i noticed that down the valve/drain from the tank, it splits in two directions, one for the left and right side of the rim. i know its gotta be stuck in on of those holes obstructing flow

yea im sorry you're right, i meant the nut, not the bolt. i tried to fish it out with a wire coat hanger with no luck. i noticed that down the valve/drain from the tank, it splits in two directions, one for the left and right side of the rim. i know its gotta be stuck in on of those holes obstructing flow

Removing the tank will afford you better access and will afford you the opportunity to change the tank bolt washers and the spud nut gasket.

The tank bolt washers are neopreme, and they deteriorate. Rub them with you finger and if your finger is black, replace them. The spud nut gasket is foam rubber and may tear when the tank is removed. Take it with you because there are several different sizes.

Hey I have left handed nuts laying around my shop. But then again I can’t throw anything out.

The nut likely will not effect much , but it could change how the water flows around the rim, if you can't live with it, you would have to take it all apart and turn the bowl over and try to flush it out

do you have an air compressor ?, you might be able to blow it back by blowing through the rim holes or maybe fish it back with some wire

the thing the the rubber flapper sits on is called a spud, underneath it, is the spud nut and spud washer [spud family]

pull the toilet, flip it over, it will fall out, if it does not, stick a hose in the toilet and turn it on

do all this flipping and squirt'n in the yard, not the house

Last edited:
Back