Interior wood siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditchmonkey

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of drywall. I'd prefer to use something like

THIS (note I'm not interested in this particular product it's just an example). What are peoples general opinions on this kind of siding? Should I be worried about the increased fire danger over drywall?

Why not just use paneling?
There is no fire hazard if it's installed over dry wall.

Why not just use paneling?
There is no fire hazard if it's installed over dry wall.

We live in the country and I am on the lookout for salvage wood. Is it common to install wood paneling over drywall?

We live in the country and I am on the lookout for salvage wood. Is it common to install wood paneling over drywall?

AFAIK, here in New Jerky, drywall is mandatory under paneling as a fire stop. You may wish to check your local codes.

Sorry for being late to this party. I just looked at the example and realized that stuff was 1/8" thick and was priced at $280 for 20 square feet? Yikes!

Sorry for being late to this party. I just looked at the example and realized that stuff was 1/8" thick and was priced at $280 for 20 square feet? Yikes!

Yeah that was just the first page I found to link to as an example. I have no interest in that product. Sounds like wood paneling isn't really going to get me away from the need for drywall.

Wood paneling is fairly thin unless you buy the really expensive products. The layer of drywall is good for fire and also makes the product feel much more solid.

Back