How do I control 2 lights, together and separately

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngieR

Reaction score
Hi,
Here is what I want to do. One main switch to supply the power to both light circuits, then a separate switch in each light circuit which can turn on and of only the one light, not affecting the other. Looking for wiring help.

Thanks

Fairly simple setup wire each light as you would normally and then on power line feeding the two lights put another switch.

Thanks, i understood that, what I need is how it is exactly wired.

Assuming the bold lines are the neutrals and the small ovals are switches; this would be correct.

if your power comes through the switch and feeds two lights you can simply install a pull switch on a pull chain at each light. this can be done on most light fixtures where you can drill a hole in the canopy to accept the switch. these are like the pull switch on a ceiling fan. this method can be used if you don't mind a chain hanging from the lights. i have two lights in our laundry room and my wife wanted a ceiling fan hung on the far light. now she turns the original switch on and can control either light and the fan by pull chains. if your power comes into one of the lights you can do even better than that.

Back