Calcium Buildup

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwgram

Reaction score
Any tips for removing calcium buildup in the valve (manifold) of an old two handle (Hot & Cold) tub/shower?? Water flows readily through each stem seat, but is slowed to half while going thru the valve (manifold) before entering the bath spigot. Have had limited success twisting a wire into the area. If I must tear out the wall and replace the valve, I must. But, I'd much rather not (tile matching problems etc.) Thank you for a prompt response.

Any tips for removing calcium buildup in the valve (manifold) of an old two handle (Hot & Cold) tub/shower?? Water flows readily through each stem seat, but is slowed to half while going thru the valve (manifold) before entering the bath spigot. Have had limited success twisting a wire into the area. If I must tear out the wall and replace the valve, I must. But, I'd much rather not (tile matching problems etc.) Thank you for a prompt response.

If you do have to change it, some times you can install a songle lever in it's place and get a cover plate that hides the other hole and usually with a little effort it can be done with out removing any more tile than would be covered.

Try to pour some CLR or vinegar into the valve. If you can get it to stay there so can even better. It will dissolve the calcium.

Back