Inventions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspectorD

Housebroken
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever invented something. I am thinking of inventing something and would like their stories, good and bad.
How you went about it and any pitfalls.

I invented a ******** that when plugged into a standard wall outlet would ******* in 5 different *******. However, I haven't patented it yet so it's still a secret. I call it a *****ulating ******itator. :D

I have never invented something but I am quite very interested on what you are going to invent. What do you intend to invent?

Everything I've invented was related to part of my job so I didn't have to worry about patenting, marketing or costs... :) But of course I didn't get any of the profits either...:(

There are about 50 patents with my name on them. I'm listed as the "primary" inventor on 4 or 5. All of them are work related...so they're of little interest here, but look good on the resume :)

I have lots of ideas for things...but don't know who to trust.
The biggest thing I am concerned about is how are they trying to scam you out of money up front. And how do you know when to give the patent person the idea..?? I was wondering if someone has gone through some of these issues ,and any pitfalls.

I kinda figured you just don't set out to invent "something". I always figured you stumble onto something and then coin it. If you have a sure fire idea and are rightfully hesitant to reveal it without having it stolen, then find an attorney to write you up some disclosure agreements to have signed with whoever you decide to share your idea with.
Having watch the TV show "American Inventor", it seems like some good ideas just weren't good enough. I think you'll need a certain percentage of population interest before you can find a backer$.

when I was kid I had all sorts of inventions, not many worked (most involved magnets, lol). It wasn't until later in life that I learned the laws of physics and realized why my inventions didn't work.

What do you consider an invention? If you're looking for a patent the idea cannot already exist, or it needs to be a large fundamental improvement over an existing patent.

I worked as a mechanical designer in the automotive field for about a decade, which I could argue involved inventing, since the machines I designed never existed before. We did go for a few patents, and the costs involved were enormous! Many legal and research fees made it pretty much pointless to pursue. The product was for quite a niche market, a rotary actuator that had built in 'cushions' (normally you need external decelerators, and these were not done by springs/shocks but a rather complex CAM profile)

I'm just rollin the ball around...collecting my ideas.:)
I guess in a nutshell, you need to have something which is not around ...as we see it used.
You need alot of money for a patent lawyer, and any lengthly legwork they may do.

So I better have a grand idea,,,and lots of capital,,,to risk it all,,, and see if it is needed.:eek:

The catch is....how do you find the market, if you can't tell anyone about the product.

Wanted....one paddle for missing boat somewhere up creek.:rolleyes:

First you "disclose" the idea to a colleague by collecting all the paperwork that was involved in the concept, get it notorized and have a concept explanation provided to someone who can read it and understand it and sign it to that effect-- with notorization.

Decide where you will papent this invention -- USA, World, etc...

Then you search for prior art -- maybe going back to the first step and modifying.

Apply for patent(s)

Then, market idea. Use legal disclosure statement signed by people you will be talking to that protects you from having them talk about it to others. Be aware that most smaller inventions are best marketed by you because you won't have to reveal to anyone. Besides, it is easier and easier to market to the world using internet and TV as long as you are willing to invest your own money. You can start out small and eventually grow or sell out if it's good.

Any idea how long a process takes and maybe some numbers?
I know it's a loaded question, but just on the average.
Lets say I invented muffler bearings....:D
This would cost less to patent than a whole car obviously, but what about the costs of the legwork is what I'm curious about.

Any idea where to find someone who can "read the product? Where to start, such as an engineer or someone who has a certain job just looking into this sort of invention idea...besides a lawyer.;)
This is very helpful, thanks.:)

I can only tell you the lawyers worked for a year each on the two patents I was involved in. Many 1000s of dollars. I hear that some people search and apply for themselves but I think you would have to spend the time to turn yourself into an expert in order to do this. You would have to get familiar with the USPTO way of doing things in order to find similar patents and write yours in a standard way with all the proper references.

You can find a lot of info at: http://www.uspto.gov/ if you haven't looked already. Check the FAQs.

The real big costs come from foreign patent filings which are more difficult and higher fees. My recollection is that one patent cost over $10,000 for US, Japan and Europe filings.

P.S. Muffler bearings were invented years ago ... :)

Thanks again, I had no idea of that site...I'll be reading for a couple of days.
The costs are not prohibitive, I'll be looking into this more seriously now.:)
If it works I'll send you one....free.:D

If it works I'll send you one....free.:D

Please don't... I already have 3 muffler bearings and I haven't installed any of them yet! :D

But of course if you could send me some of that muffler bearing grease or a muffler bearing mounting bracket....

So you probably got them when you googled it....I knew they where out there somewhere.:mad:

;) :D
I can't believe it.....someone actually sells em. $49.99

Back to the idea board.......

Latest posts

Back