Redwood Floor under old lino

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackiejex

Reaction score
I want to take up some old, pre-80s, lino in a small room. I know there is a redwood floor underneath and want to sand/finish it.

What is the danger of asbestos? Assuming it is there, can I do it myself? Will there be any additional risk when I sand the floor boards underneath?

Thanks! :)

Pre- 80's there is a slim possibility there may be asbestos...someone may have still had a can of glue or some old tiles around.
If you are curious remove a small piece and have it tested at your local health dept, or a private lab in the yellowbook.
Get ready for some hard work, let us know how it comes out.

Welcome JackieJex:
Ask at the rental place for a vinyl stripping machine, it could save you a lot of grief.
Glenn

Thanks for the suggestions. Looked at the lino - no white backing and has been put down with black glue. Not redwood underneath, but douglas fir.
Still planning it out!

Thanks again.

After you scrape all the lino off, and your looking at the old adhesive, try to mop it. Chances are that some mopping with warm water, no soap, will remove glue with little to no fuss. This will save you much sanding;) Maybe you already knew that, But anyway, good luck....

Latest posts

Back