Maytag range - broilier lights instead of oven

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaxDad - I'm not sure I understand the test you are describing. (p.s. I have a YJ too!)

Jeff - That is correct. Both igniters unplugged. With the oven off the broiler igniter gets 1v and the bake igniter 15v. When the oven is turned on the broiler gets 120v and the bake igniter stays at 15v. Both wires disappear behind the back panel and insulation so I think I need to pull the range out to get further into it.

Sparky - I will check them out. Thanks.

I tried to register at Handymanwire but never received a confirmation email so I couldn't log in. But I read through some of their posts and decided to test the gas valve.

Both the broiler valve and oven valve measured 1.1 ohm resistance, which is where they are supposed to be. So now I'm thinking a control panel issue (which of course is the most expensive part). Before I start tearing into that I decide to test voltage again at the igniter. 120v. WTH? Test it again. 120v. So I hook everything back up and start a bake cycle. The oven burner lights right up.

All I did was unplug the gas valve connectors to test resistance. Could this whole thing have been as simple as a loose connection at the gas valve?

Curt

Looks like jeffmattero76 nailed it in post #19.

If it is like a micro wave sometimes just unplugging them and plugging them in re sets things.

That could be true too. I didn't try cycling the power off-on before troubleshooting

Post up your details of the model and I'll post it at Handymanwire and see what Jeff has to say.

Jeff responded to your thread but I am unable to reply. It might be a good idea to update it. After testing the gas valve and putting everything back together the oven started working again.

Thanks

Curt

Done. Appliances are my main reason for keeping a membership over there. Jeff is awesome.

Back