DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > What did you do today?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:52 PM  
tuffy
Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 36

In our town you call the trash company and they tell you when to set it on the curb then you set it out the week of your scheduled regular trash pick up.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:51 AM  
Gary
Liked 231 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 14

In our town we set garbage back by the alley for Tuesday monring (or sometime thuesday) pick up, recycled tote gets picked up every other week. If you set anything out there with any sort of value at all, it's gone before the garbage truck gets here.
Once, I was building an attachment for the Bobcat. I set the attachment outside the weld shop back by the alley to clean to shop. Minutes later a guy came by and asked if I was getting rid of the iron. I said no, and he drove away. Good thing I didn't go in the house right then or it may have been gone, if he could have lifted it into his truck that is, it was pretty heavy.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:13 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1578 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 844

I was driving thru my neighborhood a mile from my old house and saw an air compressor sitting by the curb next to the trashcan. I pulled over and no one was home so I threw it in the truck and started to leave and I saw a huge plastic tool box on the other side of the can so I stopped again and could hardly lift it as there was a floor jack and socket set in it. I tossed that in the truck and figured I better look in the can. And when I looked it was full of men’s work clothes. I kind of figured out what went on. So I drove home and asked a neighbor about it and he said he knew the couple and she just threw him out. I told him to tell the guy come and pick up his tools. He later told me the guy moved out of town and he never saw him again. I use the compressor and jack all the time.

When we throw out furniture I set it by the road with a free sign and its always gone in an hour. One day I thought I was going to have to break up a fight two people both wanted a couch.
zannej Likes This 
Old 02-17-2018, 08:02 PM  
tuffy
Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I built a custom mail box stand about 8 years ago and now its starting to rot in places (in hind sight i should have used pressure treated like i did on our window trim)so i got all the bad pieces out today tomorrow ill put it all back together.
zannej Likes This 
Old Today, 03:22 AM  
zannej

Liked 519 Times on 377 Posts
Likes Given: 3078

InspectorD, glad you had a good trip!

Man, all this stuff about mailboxes and trash pickup makes me envious. They won't even deliver mail here so we don't have a mailbox at the house (have to drive in to town to get it). In order to get trash pickup, we have to drive 1/2" mile to the end of our road and leave the cans and hope that they bother to come out. If it rains within 5 days of trash day, they won't come. And often times, the cans get stolen. My neighbor stole 11 trash cans from us over the years. We spray painted our surname on the cans, they stole the cans and spray painted black over the name. We finally just started burning our trash that could be burned and hauling the rest to the city dump (which is only open for a couple of hours twice a week). Now we have my brother dump the non-burnable stuff in a dumpster at work.

I thought of three different things related to people putting out furniture and stuff getting grabbed:
1. When my family lived in Georgia a childhood friend of my uncle's came to visit. He left his luggage on our porch and Salvation Army people thought it was a donation and took it. Had to ask around and finally found out where it went and he was able to get it back. (Neighbors recognized the Salvation Army people).
2. I was at my elderly friend's house and the people across the street were throwing out an oak captain's chair. I mentioned it to my elderly friend (who loved to do carpentry) and he asked me to bring it over. The seat had split a bit, but otherwise it was in great condition. We worked on it together to re-glue it, sand it, and refinish it. Another elderly friend asked if he could have it the next time he was over.
3. When we lived in Guam, it took a long time to get in to housing and by the time we got in, our stuff had been in storage for months-- only they didn't have a dehumidifier and our couch was all moldy. So we got a new one and put the old one out next to the garbage can. Someone from the housing department called and asked if they could have it. We told them it had mold but they said they didn't care, they liked it, so they came and got it.

My friend's girlfriend is still having headaches from hitting her head at work. Pretty much everyone is telling her to sue McDonalds. She's afraid they will fire her if she does. Because I care about my friend and I want to make his life easier (by helping reduce his girlfriend's stress so she isn't freaking out) I took her shopping (and I hate shopping). She has 2 weddings to go to and needed another dress and another pair of shoes (I personally would have gone with the same pair for both, but that's me). She kept complaining that I wasn't up-to-date on modern clothes & kept wanting to do "old timey" style. I reminded her that I'm more than twice her age and I wasn't up-to-date on the modern style when I was her age. We found some ribbon with flowers and crap on it that can be put on the dress to make it more appropriate for a wedding and I've enlisted the help of another female friend who is better with fashion and girly stuff and can sew. I can sew a little, but my last sewing class was before the girl was born. LOL.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my cat Assclown realized that the mat I bought for him is very comfy and now he lounges on the mat next to the water bowl-- or lounges on the mat with his head on the water bowl. He's been curling up and sleeping on it a few inches away from his beloved water bowl.

Last edited by zannej; Today at 03:30 AM.

Old Today, 10:38 AM  
havasu
Garage Junkie
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

We get about 500 pounds of lemons from the trees in my yard. On many occasions, I will place lemons in buckets but that stopped when some idiot also took the containers holding the lemons. I now just collect bags at friends and neighbor's requests.