Removing Felt Backed Linoleum

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vettech_96

Reaction score
I just bought a home that is almost 100 years old. I was pleased to find hardwood floors under the linoleum. However, the linoleum is felt backed and I am not having much luck removing it. This linoleum has been there for 30+ years! Any tricks or tips???

If the linoleum adhesive is black you are dealing with what is called "cutback" adhesive. It is a petroleum based product which contains asbestos. If the linoleum is that old it could very well have asbestos fibers in it as well. Before you tear into all that and turn a bunch of asbestos dust loose in your house you might take some samples and have some testing done. Or talk to your local floor store and see what suggestions they have. A naptha type thinner will probably dissolve the adhesive and with a lot of elbow grease get the adhesive up. Then you will still have to find a disposal sight which can accept the asbetos waste. Good luck with your project.

Latest posts

Back