Condensation problem - mobile home

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd38

Reaction score
Hi, my question pertains to a problem I have with condensation and leaks in my mobile home which at some point had a new roof installed (tin roof) after the original roof was removed. The problem area right now is in the vicinity of the bathroom and clothes dryer.

There is frost buildup along the eaves that I can see, as I cut a hole in the ceiling. There is not enough room to enter the attic due to the limited pitch. There is insulation and a vapor barrier, however there is really not any overhang on the eave and no soffits as a result. There is insulation squeezed right into the corner of the eaves where the frost is built up. Once the winter temps warm up, it melts creating the water problem.

We installed an electric fan in one end and gable vents, but obviously airflow is unlikely where the insulation is tight into the corner.

Has anyone seen this problem before? What can be done to remedy it?

Thanks
Kevin"

Hard to picture what your talking about. Most of the time when a new roof is added to a mobil home the old roof is left in place and a new gable roof is just added right over it.
The fact that the condinsation in near the bathroom and dry vent leaves me to believe someone did not extend the two vents out through the roof so it's causing a hot spot on the under side of the roof.
Look at this chart to see how much insulation should have been used in your area.
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=home_sealing.hm_improvement_insulation_table

Latest posts

Back