Will oil pool in this hose?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
hBlKmLFd

I have the lubricator to the left of my compressor and it supplies the hose reel. I started thinking about that since I am refitting my garage and it would seem that over time the hose would accumulate oil.

Is this what people see in a whacky setup like this?

I am getting ready to plumb my garage with copper...

hBlKmLFd

I have the lubricator to the left of my compressor and it supplies the hose reel. I started thinking about that since I am refitting my garage and it would seem that over time the hose would accumulate oil.

Is this what people see in a whacky setup like this?

I am getting ready to plumb my garage with copper...

The set up you have is right to left, a water separator and a pressure regulator, and if it was your intent to reverse the order, in the hopes of lubricating the tool/s, then the hose needs to rated for that activity, instead of lubricating the tool/s when used, "in the heat of the moment."

I see that you do not have a mechanical adjustment for the tank pressure, mentioned in the other inquiry.

However, to adjust the tank pressure would require the removal of the control valve cover and adjusting the tank pressure in the control box.

air flow goes from left to right but isn't hooked up right now because I didn't want to put more oil vapor in that hose until I figured out what was going on in there: water separator-pressure regulator-lubricator and a hose goes directly to the hose reel that isn't clearly visible...I wonder if I remove and dismantle the hose and will I find the fabled fountain of lubricating oil :) LOL
The set up you have is right to left, a water separator and a pressure regulator, and if it was your intent to reverse the order, in the hopes of lubricating the tool/s, then the hose needs to rated for that activity, instead of lubricating the tool/s when used, "in the heat of the moment."

I see that you do not have a mechanical adjustment for the tank pressure, mentioned in the other inquiry.

However, to adjust the tank pressure would require the removal of the control valve cover and adjusting the tank pressure in the control box.

I suppose for a relative distance but in 25 feet of coiled hose or 50 feet of coiled hose that oil vapor will have to condense and pool again, however small a quantity of oil ; i don't know how oil vapor behaves compared to water vapor-i am just guessing...

I disconnected the reel and added a male fitting to it and a female fitting to the hose coming from the lubricator side .

I am just going to buy another section of lead-in hose to connect to the reel when I just need a long air hose and just connect my oilable tools to the lubby with a coiled section of hose and move on with my life!

I could remove the female fitting from one 25ft section of hose and hang it upside down from the tree for a few days and I could even shoot some simple green through it until it comes out the other end and then flush that baby with water and hang the length out to dry for a few days....overkill...nothing wrong with a little oil in the hose-i won't be painting with it anyway....

too much time on my hands...
Oil will follow the air, you won't find much in the hose.

I got rid of my oiler and water separator a long time ago ans just drain the tank periodically. I found that having the oiler made the tool body oily, and messy to use. So I just put a drop of tool oil in the air inlet of the tool before I use it. I also bought a air filter from h.depot (only a couple of inches long) and mounted it to the bottom of the tank. this allows me to see the amount of water accumulated and also allows me to drain it when I want. I will try to find it on h. depots site and post it here for you if you want it

SELECT TO COMPARE
1/4 in. NPT Mini Air Filter
1/4 in. NPT Mini Air Filter
Model # 24343HOM

$12.69
I think this is the one I bought, I also removed the filter element as it isnt needed

I got rid of my oiler and water separator a long time ago ans just drain the tank periodically. I found that having the oiler made the tool body oily, and messy to use. So I just put a drop of tool oil in the air inlet of the tool before I use it. I also bought a air filter from h.depot (only a couple of inches long) and mounted it to the bottom of the tank. this allows me to see the amount of water accumulated and also allows me to drain it when I want. I will try to find it on h. depots site and post it here for you if you want it
MAN THAT IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA....A few years ago I got sick of crouching down to open that ridiculous valve so I piped some galvanized out from underneath the tank and put a ball valve on it and that is so much easier.....Home Depot's HUSKY line has a couple of innovative air tool accessories one of which is a tank drain ( did that have a clear tube to see accumulated water????)...but I am sure everyone will appreciated any pictures you share......water dirt etc is my concern...OH BTW, I tried to install this POS automatic water drain thing from HARBOR FRIGHT and that never worked so I had to buy replacement parts from Craftsman...Oh and YES...upon the recommendation of folks HERE i removed the oiler and ketp the Filter/regulator part..

Do not use copper for air lines, yes it will stand the pressure, but it also will form a green copper oxide slime inside of it that will distrory any any other metal it comes in contact with.

Do not use copper for air lines, yes it will stand the pressure, but it also will form a green copper oxide slime inside of it that will distrory any any other metal it comes in contact with.
Yeah, thanks for that , but as I recall, the green oxidation is a reaction between the excess flux that remains and not a result of using copper tubing. I will use only as much as I need to get the job done!

Back