Hello Everyone

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1864DIY

DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Hello-
I have just purchased a home built in 1864 and will soon start the renovation process. After lots of research We will be starting with the basement by lowering the floor 3 feet (yes I know it's a huge job :rofl: ) I will documenting everything on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf17NXx1gnum8akfMwnltiA . You will see that I have already removed all the sheetrock from the area and the digging will soon start. I'm sure I will be posting lots of questions as I go along so thanks in advance for any help you provide. I also have a history of doing construction and remodeling work, started working on a foundation and framing crew in highschool and owned a remodeling company for a couple years.
CrazyDIYGuy

Progress report:
We completed the digging for the new support column that will be the location of the new beam to be installed next week. Because the existing floor is not the same around the room we will use the the base depth of the column footer hole to get a grade on the foundation wall footers using the laser level you see in hole. We will mark a line around the room and dig down the same distance this should help me maintain the same depth around the perimeter.
the first photo is the hole that the new column will be built using 8x8x16 cement blocks reinforced with rebar.
the second photo is the beam and column that is being replaced.

photo 2 (13).JPG

basement pics 01.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome ... Will be nice to follow the progress ... I assume you have considered the foundation issues that will develop by digging that deep. If you go under the footing, you may destabilize the house. How will you or will you underpin? Inquiring minds want to know ..... :D

after speaking with a structural engineer and several contractors in the area. I decided to build what will amount to a 2nd foundation wall using blocks 8x8x16 on top of a footer that will be twice the width of the block and all reinforced with rebar. this will be done a section at a time for example dig out one short section pour footer and build wall section and move to the next section. after the perimeter of the area is complete its just a matter of removing all of the material inside the foundation approximately 44 cubic yards :( and pouring the 4" slab. My plumbing contractor will come in a set the drains for a new bathroom and install a pump system because the main line will be at a higher grade then the floor. The number I got for this from contractors included a wide range from 40-120K just to do the digging out part not including the finishing I can do it all myself for well under the 40K number just will be slower and lots of bull work.:banana:

Last edited:
Just curious ... as you build this new footer section by section, will you leave rebar extending out on each side so you can tied the sections together? You do not have a continuous pour so it is weaker. How does your engineer suggest handling this?

Just curious ... as you build this new footer section by section, will you leave rebar extending out on each side so you can tied the sections together? You do not have a continuous pour so it is weaker. How does your engineer suggest handling this?

If he starts with a 4 ft section he stars with 4 ft lengths of rebar tapping some 2 ft into the dirt on each side and some as joiners in the hole but as each section will have a chance of rust at the joints in the concrete the rebar should be epoxi coated. Then in every section he just continues to tap some forward and make the conections from the last pour.

If he starts with a 4 ft section he stars with 4 ft lengths of rebar tapping some 2 ft into the dirt on each side and some as joiners in the hole but as each section will have a chance of rust at the joints in the concrete the rebar should be epoxi coated. Then in every section he just continues to tap some forward and make the conections from the last pour.

yes this is how I was told would be the best way to do it.

Welcome to the site.
Are you planning on waterproofing and drainage on the out side.

its not going to be possible to waterproof from the outside, I was planning on doing it on the inside. I have had no water in the basement this spring and we had 6' of snow and a couple 4"+ rain storms. I was considering a drainage system on the inside that connects to a sump pump.

Latest posts

Back