basement framing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgoblue24

Reaction score
I have a townhouse that I am looking to finish the basement. My home is a middle unit, my cement basement walls are not exterior walls, on the other side of my walls is another units basement. Do I need to water proof and put a vapor barrier up, or can I just frame, insulate and then drywall? I assume I need the vapor barrier but figure I would get others opinoins

Why would you need a vapor barrier on a party-wall? Why would you need a vapor barrier on any of the walls? What do the covenants or the condo association say about it.

Do I need to do anything to my foundation walls prior to framing? Based on the last comment a vapor barrier is not needed, so is there anything I should do to prep my walls. The association does not specify anything.

Checking for vapor; tape a clear plastic sheet to the wall and look for moisture on the sheet after a day or so.

If your neighbors' basements are significantly warmer or cooler than the temp. you desire you maybe should insulate.

Last edited:
Back