Foundation, Proper Way To Support Mini Barn

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esbmann

Reaction score
Was not certain if this is the correct forum to place my question, but here goes. Approximatly 20 yrs ago I put up a 14 by 8 mini barn in the lowest and wetest part of my backyard. I was new to the home and didnt realize how wet this crner is. I live in Indpls, In so we get all of the different climate changes. Have always had a problem in the winter with the barn shifting around and the two front doors on the barn becoming jammed shut. Last summer I moved the barn about 10ft, however it is still in the lowest and wetest corner. I put 4 by 4 ,s length wise under the floor joist. At each corner I dug down no more than two feet and placed a vertical 4 by 4 with a post cap that attatches to the supporting 4 by 4 ,s under the barn. Then I filled the holes with concrete, I did my best to make sure the concrete was pushed down underneath the 4 by 4. I hane still experienced the barn shifting around, and not sitting completely level again. I am thinking that I may need to put some 4 inch corragted pipe around the barn and run to a nearby drainage ditch to help dry it out and I am wandering if I didnt go deep enough on my corner support post. Any specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

You more than likely did not go deep enough, I don't know what your frost line is in Ind, but I will bet it is probably 3' or better, and in the winter the frost gets under the footings and moves them, especially if it is a wet area as you say, What you should do is check with the local building dept to see what the required depth of a footing is in your area, then dig your footing to that depth, install a sonatube (cardboard tube for footings) and fill it with concrete, then attach you 4x4 to the top of the concrete.

Latest posts

Back