Repairing floor in old house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dionysia

Reaction score
I went to visit my 88 year old grandmother the other day. She lives in a 2 story house built in 1920. The upstairs has never been heated/cooled except on the odd occasion when someone is doing something up there. I noticed three of the floorboards in the middle of the hallway have curled and popped up on one end. The area in question would be above the heat stove in the dining room. Is there a good way to fix this that won't involve busting into the dining room ceiling? The hard part will probably be convincing her that it needs to be fixed...

Can u provide photo of the floor? So we know what type of floor boards r they?

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

If I can get back down there and take a pic soon, I will post. Prob fir or pine, and I didn't see any T&G on the parts that were popped up. I dont recall if this area of flooring was pulled up in the 80's when the house was rewired, but if it was that might explain the lack of T&G.

Dionysia said:
If I can get back down there and take a pic soon, I will post. Prob fir or pine, and I didn't see any T&G on the parts that were popped up. I dont recall if this area of flooring was pulled up in the 80's when the house was rewired, but if it was that might explain the lack of T&G.

Is the boards actually curling? Or just raised up whats underneath if it's just raised up use might get away with using fine trim nails to tack it back down or if you can borrow a passload gun (used for trim) with 1 1/2 or 2" trim nails.

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

A trim nailer will never hold down a curled up board. I'd simple pull the old boards and replace with new ones, using ring shank nails.

joecaption said:
A trim nailer will never hold down a curled up board. I'd simple pull the old boards and replace with new ones, using ring shank nails.

Yeah kinda why I asked for a photo if there just pop out then no reason why trim nailer wouldn't work I hang doors with them same theory really. But if there curls ur method is a good one.

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

Latest posts

Back