DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Critter hole in corner of house?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:04 PM  
jmr106
Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Critter hole in corner of house?

Sooo, here comes a headache: http://ibb.co/iAXzwm

It looks like the brick just stops there in the corner in an odd way, like they didn't finish it or something. I don't see how the board even covered it completely even when the board was whole. It looks like something has chewed part of the board away from the corner to make the hole larger. What can I do about this? I'm concerned about all of these trim boards all the way around the house basically bowing out and away at the bottom part of the board. If they have "gaps" all the way around where the bricks do not even reach the top like I'm seeing in the corner, that's a serious problem and I may have to find a way to attach the boards directly to the bricks. I presume that now, they are attached to the inner wood all the way around the house. I can change that wood trim, but I'm concerned about the one where the old, unused cable connection (circled), live power connection (second one from the left) and old phone line (also no longer used - third from the right) join the trim board. That's would have to come down, a new board would have to go up and all of that would have to be reconnected again by different people.

Got any advice on this one?

I was messing around my mother's house today and I heard a thunk in the attic above a bedroom. Clearly a critter. Most likely a squirrel because I heard what sounded like some type of nuts being dropped/moved around in the attic. I went up and tried to see anything and all was quiet. It either got out some other way or went back out of the main hole quietly as I opened the attic door and lowered the stairs. Either that or it just got really quiet and stayed still until I left, hiding under something.

So inside of the eve vent on the same side of the house as the above photo, there is some mesh wire attached to the inside paneling to cover up the inside of the eve vent. I presume that this was to keep critters out, as I see a small hole in the screen wire of the eve vent: http://ibb.co/cZw9E6

At the top and bottom of the eve vent, there's like a little ledge on the top and bottom that they have covered it with some kind of cheap paneling like the attic has all the way around. The paneling piece on the top has been pushed down and looks like some kind of grass or nest or something is hanging out of the top of it. The bottom piece has been pushed up, as seen in the photo. This vent lines up somewhere with the upside down V area at the top of the house and I see that both boards do not meet together in the middle and there is maybe a one-inch space. Not sure if the squirrel is getting in that way and going around inside of the wall paneling somehow or through the hole in the corner. I may have to put some something outside of the vent to stop that.

Closeup of said critter hole in the corner: http://image.ibb.co/jyDjgm/closeup.jpg

Yikes. It is so jagged, I'm not sure how to even cover that properly and I'm wondering if it is like that all the way around the house. Somebody really messed up on that one.

Last edited by jmr106; 01-15-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:41 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1579 Times on 1206 Posts
Likes Given: 844

Kind of looks chewed on.

Get it closed up and sealed up.

Also that vent needs to have hardware cloth or something on the inside as they can go between the louvers.

You have no idea how much damage those little buggers can do.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:04 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 3052 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 5041

Hi J-------
If you look at the fist photo about 2 ft from the corner there is a joint in the lumber so that bottom section can be changed.
That board is called fascia or rake board. it is common to see it warped out at the bottom and a new one would be expected to dopy this one in a year or two.
I think the hardware cloth that Bud mentioned is actually metal screen.
If someone takes a 4 or 4" width of that screen and folds it in the middle it can be pushed up behind with a spatula
The gap at the top where the two rakes meet can be covered with sheet metal or a decretive wood piece, that might be called a crown but mostly we called it ( you know that decretive wood piece where the rakes meet.)

The hole needs to be dressed first with some kind of flap that will allow criter to get out but will stop them from getting back in. That should be left for about a week.
bud16415 Likes This 
Old 01-21-2018, 01:16 PM  
jmr106

Alright, so maybe this is just one of those simple things about house construction in general that I never knew about. Or maybe this is something particular to this house, I'm not sure.

Inside of the corner, the diagonal roof rafter is visible.

An issue that I see going on is that I can see the "step up" of the bricks themselves, underneath the board.

So basically with every "step up"...there's like a hole where the board has of course pulled away and the next step up in the brick leaves an open space. This is fairly alarming. While I had the ladder up taking pics, I nearly encountered said squirrel coming across that power line. It saw me and jumped onto the roof to go elsewhere until I went away, so it is definitely a squirrel.

Did they half-butt this brick work, too? It steps up, but even if the wood were flat, there's seemingly no insulation. Just a board that, if fixed to the rafter wood properly, wouldn't allow critters in. However, there's no barrier from stuff like bugs or anything.

There is a seam in the wood there where the lower piece could just have the front couple of feet changed out, but with the above problem that I see, that is completely useless now. Blocking off the front board and fixing that would result in a squirrel basically being able to climb along and go under the trim board every foot or two and still get into the attic. I presume that the area that it is getting into is basically behind this paneling stuff that they have on the side of the wall in the attic.

That insulation is old and will be changed out in the near future, anyway. I presume that there are basically holes all the way up along the trim boards behind this wall. Oddly enough, it is only on that particular side of the house. The back porch side of the house, for instance...the trim boards are barely bowed and are just about flush against the bricks. I'm going to have to attach some mesh wire over the inside part of that eve vent, likely screwing directly into the vent metal itself to stabilize the wire.

Changing that lower trim board out for a wider one could be done, but I don't particularly want to be hammering on that lower board or pulling it out at the risk of the upper board coming off and dropping power lines in my face. Plus, somewhere on the other side of that wall in the attic, that power anchor piece goes through the wall and would be visible. I have pondered that I could take that paneling down and likely see each of the holes visible, then just cut some wood and screw it in place in the meantime to block the openings until I can get the outside trim boards replaced.

Last edited by jmr106; 01-21-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:17 PM  
jmr106

I can see the old power anchor from decades ago still attached and poking through the inside paneling on the side of the house with long bolts. At one point decades ago, that was likely live and there were 2-3 children actually sleeping up in that open attic. Scary. If I encounter the new one visible in the previous photos, I'm going to presume it is live.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:19 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

................opps

Last edited by nealtw; 01-21-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:28 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

The area with the corner chewed away perhaps the there is room behind it to slip a piece of wood up behind the facsia .
Earlier I talked about metal screening could be tucked up between the facsia and the brick but you could also just add a 1x2 or 1x3 or 1x4 which ever fits flat on the bottom of the facsia tight to the brick and caulked.
On the inside, it looks like you have insulation against the roof sheeting. The attic should be kept at outside temps and all insulation should be on the floor. If it to be used as living space, Doing that right is a whole nother ball of wax.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:45 PM  
jmr106

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
The area with the corner chewed away perhaps the there is room behind it to slip a piece of wood up behind the facsia .
Earlier I talked about metal screening could be tucked up between the facsia and the brick but you could also just add a 1x2 or 1x3 or 1x4 which ever fits flat on the bottom of the facsia tight to the brick and caulked.
On the inside, it looks like you have insulation against the roof sheeting. The attic should be kept at outside temps and all insulation should be on the floor. If it to be used as living space, Doing that right is a whole nother ball of wax.
Yeah, the previous owners put the 3" rolled insulation against the roof sheeting. They also put some loose insulation under the floor boards boards in the attic. The attic does get the outside temperature, whether hot or cold.

Last edited by jmr106; 01-22-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:49 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr106 View Post
Yeah, the previous owners put the 3" rolled insulation against the roof sheeting. They also put some under the boards on the floor of the attic, but that's some kind of general loose insulation similar to what they blow in nowadays. The attic does get the outside temperature, whether hot or cold.
So you should just remove the stuff under the roof it has a bigger chance of causing trouble.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:52 PM  
jmr106

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
So you should just remove the stuff under the roof it has a bigger chance of causing trouble.
Most of that has literally fallen off anyway. I threw away the pieces that fell because they were very old. There is very little remaining. What kind of problems can that cause?

Last edited by jmr106; 01-22-2018 at 07:56 PM.
nealtw Likes This