Basement door strike plate screws into concrete wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan64456

Reaction score
There is only a 2 by 4 (door frame) between the door and the concrete wall... I bought a 4 screw security strike plate for the dead bolt lock, and have to screw into the concrete to make the door much stronger with 3 inch screws... I have a regular drill, and plenty of bits... It is a battery drill but very powerful and solid. How do I get screws to bite into concrete thru a door frame?

Thanks all...

Dan,
Get a masonry drill bit and masonry screws. Make sure the drill bit is smaller than the screws. First drill a pilot hole with the drill bit through the wood and concrete. Then drill the screws in. I found drilling with the screws, without the pilot hole into the concrete, caused the drill to jump and screws to get stripped.

Both suggestions work great, But since block breaks apart easy, I also stick some Construction adheasive between the wood and the block. Only if you need the extra security, because once it is done, you cannot remove or adjust the jamb.
But it holds like you would not believe.:)

Latest posts

Back