Just had gutters installed...should I complain about this?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just had some gutters installed by Home Depot (well a company hired by Home Depot). I just took a closer look at everything and noticed a lot of the gutters do NOT sit flush with the fascia at all. There's about a 1 inch gab in a lot of areas and I can see the underlying deck wood through the gab etc. Is this acceptable or is it uncommon?
Here's some pictures:

Here you can see some of the existing fascia covering is bent. The middle seam at the corner leaks (well just drips but still). And then you have the 1 inch gap.

Just a different angle. If you look close you can see screws going through to the fascia...barely drilled into it.

This is the other side of the house. Same deal. Big 1 inch gap.

This is the back side of the house. Most of the gutter is flush on this side except for this end.

My main concern is pests and also the underlying deck wood being exposed. Would I be crazy to call and complain? They've already been out a second time to fix some leaks I noticed...then the guy just completely rerouted the drain saying that was why it was leaking (made zero sense to me).

Any advice would be great!

I would call and complain. Not a very good installation if you ask me. If the rafter tails are cut so the ends are completely verticle on the fascia, the bottom of the gutter should be tight against the fascia.

Did you have the same kind of gutters before they replaced them? If you did, did they fit better?

I think you need to view them from above because the gutter needs to be under the drip edge and along the roof. When you view them from below your perspective is based on how the soffit is aligned with gutter and not how the gutter is aligned with the roof edge.

Looking at the pic of the inside corner, it appears the one run was cut to short.

A view from the top would help, what happens when it rains. Notice any drip between the gutter and fascia?

Did you have the same kind of gutters before they replaced them? If you did, did they fit better?

The gutters prior were all flush with the fascia.

The gutter ARE properly aligned with the roof though and function. But I'm sure there's a way to maintain this while having it flush with the fascia. I called Home Depot about it already. We will see.

The gutter ARE properly aligned with the roof though and function. But I'm sure there's a way to maintain this while having it flush with the fascia. I called Home Depot about it already. We will see.

I agree it looks awfull but we can't see what he had to deal with, but id there were issues that should have been fixed, he should have discussed that wih you before starting.

Well Home Depot called back and told me the installer had come out to take a look and said that the gutters are all perfectly straight where the fascia in that location is not and that there's nothing he could do.
Whats weird is this was not an issue with the prior gutters installed! My main two issues are critters (BATS) getting up in there and into my roof and also the gutters not holding weight of any ice dams in these locations.

So do you still have the old or did he haul them away. If you have them you could measure them and see if he made mistakes there.
The only other thing you could do is find another gutter company to come out and give you a written report, you will have to pay for that.

The gutter ARE properly aligned with the roof though and function. But I'm sure there's a way to maintain this while having it flush with the fascia. I called Home Depot about it already. We will see.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that:banana:

Unfortunately, I think this is a case of having a brand new fender installed on an old beat up rusty truck and complaining that something's wrong because it doesn't look like like the rest of the truck.

Unfortunately, I think this is a case of having a brand new fender installed on an old beat up rusty truck and complaining that something's wrong because it doesn't look like like the rest of the truck.

Well, complaining about shoddy workmanship isn't putting a new fender on a old truck. You can clearly see where the runs were cut short on some and long on another. Age of the house shouldn't matter, what does matter is a company was retained to preform a service and the customer wasn't satisfied with the results. IF it wasn't possible to install the gutters and have a good end result, the customer should have been notified before or during the process.

I work for a roofing company, if we have an issue during install we make the homeowner aware before the project completes. It makes life a lot easier to keep them in the loop.

I've been on a lot of houses and seen a lot of gutter installs, this one looks like the third grade class did it. Sorry.

I don't think he's complaining about shoddy workmanship, but about the alignment of what appear to be properly installed new gutters to the fascia. The fascia boards on my house are not plumb, the pitch in toward the house about 5 degrees. When I had a gutter installed along the front, if they installed it flush with the fascia, it would of tilted the gutter down 5 degrees, rather than being level.
I don't know about the OP's, but it may well be that the gutters he had up before were not installed properly.

Ok well I had called and requested a different contractor come to take a look. I talked to him over the phone and he confirmed there were some problems with the install. He said he would talk to the project manager and have him get back to me. Well it's been a good 2 - 3 months and he FINALLY called me back! I mean really?

The manager at HD then stated that my fascia boards are rotten and that's why they couldn't install the gutters flush the fascia! The fascia is wrapped and has been wrapped...no idea how they got to this conclusion without even removing the wrap to take a look. And it's amazing how it took this long for the installer to relay this message to me. I think they're full of crap!
Now I have ice damn building up a little and you can see the gapped parts of the gutter starting to flex and sag a little. '

I can take some more pics...but if you're looking at the back of the house along the entire roof edge the center section of the gutters are flush to the facia while the ends come out and are gapped about 1 inch. Those sections are now sagging a little and are out of place.

So now what should I do?? I should get a regional manager involved in this I'm thinking.

So now what should I do?? I should get a regional manager involved in this I'm thinking.

Yes, go to the next level, if the fascia was bad, they should have notified you and stopped the install until there bad wood was replaced. That excuse would be totally unacceptable in my opinion.

It is crap, if there was a prblem stopping them from doing a quality job they should have stopped and insisted you had that fixed before they continue. He likely looked at the job before a price was quoted so it is all on the contractor and HD. If you have a better business bureau, I would start there.
BTW, those are the worsrt diy corners you can find.
He could have spent a few minutes on line and learned how to do gutters
..[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYQgClD3n1Y[/ame]

Back