Load bearing wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor20

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just closed on a house and got straight to work ripping things apart. I have attached some pictures of a wall that I would like to remove. It was part of the original houses exterior, the back last of the room was an addition with no attic/crawl space above it. I can also see where there use to be a window in the middle of it. Anyway I am going to try and take a peek at the ceiling joist today, but did anyone think from the pictures I'm good to go with removing the studs shown? Thanks!!

Jordan

IMG_20150404_203359.jpg

IMG_20150404_203356.jpg

IMG_20150404_203403.jpg

IMG_20150404_203407.jpg

IMG_20150404_203418.jpg

IMG_20150404_203438.jpg

If the joists above are resting on this wall, you will have to head it off in order to remove the stud framing. If you ignore that advice, the wall will sag badly as the roof structure above it presses downward.

Saw a guy do this once when he was trying to convert part of his garage into a bigger bedroom. Before I could stop him, there was daylight shining through a crack he opened to the exterior! I got the job to fix the mess ... but his wife kicked him out of the house.

This picture shows you the relationship of the joists and the exterior wall framing. The wall on the left is clearly bearing. Your situation might be like that. If they did an add-on, they may have just added to the structure while leaving the previous framing intact.

BEARING.jpg

Latest posts

Back