New Toilet running

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remout

Reaction score
American Standard toilet has run intermittently since installed. I've replaced the filler valve with something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Fluidmaster-400C-Toilet-Tank-Repair/dp/B000BOCAB2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1451403803&sr=8-6&keywords=universal+toilet+repair+kit

Both the original and the replacement, intermittently run. The replacement part was every bit of $8 at the local store. I've checked my incoming water pressure, city water, and it peaks at 65 PSI. I left the gauge on for a week to monitor it's tattle tail.

Is there perhaps a higher quality valve you folks would recommend?

Many Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure the flapper is working correctly, or is it allowing water to leak out activating the valve? Does the toilet shut off completely before spilling water into the overflow tube?

It probably needs a new flapper, have you replaced that? Turn off the water supply, wait for a while then check the water level in the tank.

Are you sure the flapper is working correctly, or is it allowing water to leak out activating the valve? Does the toilet shut off completely before spilling water into the overflow tube?

I haven't noticed it shutting off then running.

I took the lid off and saw water spilling over the overflow. I next shut off the water supply. Over ~30 min the water level has dropped 1/4" below the top of the overflow tube.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSoxcNyZWTA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSoxcNyZWTA[/ame]

If water is spilling out over the overflow you need to adjust the water level. With a Fluidmaster you slide the rod up and adjust the clip to shut the water off at the line molded into the tank or about an inch below the overflow. If the overflow is below the mark on the tank you can with most Fluidmasters adjust the height by twisting the plastic overflow tube. It is unlikely your original toilet filler was bad, and also unlikely your flapper is bad if this is a brand new toilet.

Some models the tube is adjustable, some you can adjust the water height as shown in the video, some you need to slide the metal rod up or down to adjust the water level.

Last edited:
I'd recommend adjusting the valve to shut off a bit lower than it currently is. I would them recommend replacing the flapper, or at least running your finger under the flapper to feel for any rough chunks of calcium.

With the water supply off the water level stays consistent, about 1/4" below overflow.

I turned the water supply back on and it filled then started running over. I turned the knurled plastic knob until the rod was at max extension between the upper holder and float..... still overflowed. I then turned the knob the other way shortening that same distance.. still overflows. Pulling up on the float/rod/upper lever..... still overflows.

With the water supply off the water level stays consistent, about 1/4" below overflow.

I turned the water supply back on and it filled then started running over. I turned the knurled plastic knob until the rod was at max extension between the upper holder and float..... still overflowed. I then turned the knob the other way shortening that same distance.. still overflows. Pulling up on the float/rod/upper lever..... still overflows.

You can also lower the height of the filler valve, because what you are doing, attempting to adjust the water level, is only 1 of the adjustment available too you in the fluid master, and it's not working.

Lowering the height of the filler valve will then allow the water height adjustment, to be effective.

must've been delayed..... that was weird. disappeared for the second time...........

Is it, could it be, that the web site has taken the opportunity to use this, "slownsteady", as the web methodology?:clap:

And only time will tell?

Last edited:
Back