water hammer in shower

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobc

Reaction score
Hello,

When running the shower at home, the pipes make a loud knocking noise (water hammer). When the water is set to bathtub (pouring from the faucet below the shower), there is no noise. The knocking also depends on the setting on the shower head. The pipes knock if the shower is set to full spray, but not if it's set to concentrated spray (only using the center holes at higher pressure).

What could be causing this? Can this be fixed? Which parts most likely need replacing?

Thanks a lot,
Jacob

it might be a loose pipe from the shower valve to the shower head, or the air chamber ( i forgot what it's called ) in the pipe above the shower head. First try to fix the hammer by shutting off the water to the shower supply pipe, if there is one. If not, then shut off the water to the house and open the the hot and cold valves to the shower. this will replenish the air in the chamber, then shut the shower water valve and turn on the house water. This should fix the problem, but if it doesn't, then you must secure the shower supply pipe. You can either open up the wall and tighten the clamps that are there or , cut a small hole in the opposite wall behind the pipe, locate the pipe and spray in some foam,when the foam hardens, the pipe will be secured. Next, check if you solved the problem close up the hole. If neither of thes suggestions work, punt

Thank you for the responses. To answer the questions:

- This just started about a week ago.
- I can't tell if the pipe is loose. Could I find this out without opening up the plumbing?

Thanks again,
Jacob

What is on the other side of that wall?
I have had the fitting in the wall come loose and was able to fix it from behind.

images7.jpg

Latest posts

Back