Toilet Flange Repair/Replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk3000

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

The house I purchase few months has two bathrooms, and it is almost like a duplex; but I relinquished doing anything on the second portions of the house (besides cleaning, doors, and some wiring). This bathroom has old ceramic tiles which seems to have been installed on top of at least two layers of lynolium floor... Is this is acceptable to install ceramic tiles on top of vinyl linolyum with no backerboard? But then the problem at hand that I am tackling is that in this bathroom there is a toilet/latrine that even though it is functional it seemed old and outdated so I decided to replace it, and on occasion of removing it seems that the toilet flange partially (seems to be pvc inside fitting flange) broke as shown below:

23767935346_6cb77a10fd_b.jpg

The nuts holding the toilet in place were so corroded that I had to cut them with a reciprocating saw. But then the bolts themselves are so corroded that one can not feel any threads on them. To make matters worse instead of having these bolts connected to a flange they seemed to the permanent anchored to the concrete floor (slab floor in this part of the house).

24067889642_7b3cf4f54d_h.jpg

Since the bolts/studs are so corroded I believe that they would needed to be extracted and flange extension or repair kit would not work out in this situation. Any ideas on how to approach this problem? The toilet sewer line is cast iron and goes really deep and overall seems to be in pretty good shape, so I don't want to disturb it either. Maybe extracting the studs/bolts and installing a flange repair ring, but I would have to completely extract the old studs since they at the very same spot where the new ones would have to be.

Last edited:
There are all kinds of models of toilet flange kits out there for replacement. Saw off the old bolts and pick a new spot to anchor it down and then use the slip bolts to attach the toilet bowel back down.

Google toilet flange kits and you will see pictures of all the types.

There are all kinds of models of toilet flange kits out there for replacement. Saw off the old bolts and pick a new spot to anchor it down and then use the slip bolts to attach the toilet bowel back down.

That is a good point: sawing off and use a flange to slide the new bolt in instead of trying to extract it. Sometimes it seems that I suffered from brain damage due to too much asbestos in the attic.

thks

Back