Spiral staris: Prefab vs. Custom

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvnpeas

Reaction score
I'm going to add spiral stairs to my house. Locally, custom made are over $5000, while prefab is $2500 shipped (has to be assembled).

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Not sure. I'm just wondering if there is a difference in quality between prefab and custom. There will be more parts in prefab, but any difference otherwise?

We have a guy that builds custom on town and he is reasonable priced so I don’t think you can get a good answer to your question. The big difference is the custom might come all welded into one big thing and you will have to be able to work with that. The prefab will be a bunch of parts and you assemble.

There should be no difference in quality but we can't speek to the quality of any company over another.

Most time a curved staircase need walls around them and if done properly most of the stair framing is done in those walls, so I am not sure how prefabed word work or be needed.

You can see several different models and brands at Home Depot and Lowes. They are centered around a post that bears the load.

Latest posts

Back