Patching facial board

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcnerd

Reaction score
Fascia board is relatively inexpensive, what about just replacing the board and not deal with the crack.

Fascia board is relatively inexpensive, what about just replacing the board and not deal with the crack.

The thing is that it is right in the front of the house pitch shaped like "^".

Good idea. It is easy to pull out the metal corner piece that sits under the roof and meeting the facial?

Hello,

I have tried to fix some areas of facial board and it doesn't seem to work.

I scrap old area away and used this product below. Then I sand and painted using Behr exterior paint. After a few months, the crack shows up again. The facial board is 2x6 (maybe douglas fir). I am thinking of using epoxy or maybe I need to prime the area.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-1-qt-Ready-Patch-Spackling-and-Patching-Compound-04424/100398387

MH is a good general purpose product for stable conditions, however I suspect that the crack you are attempting to repair, is more than a surface deformation and may well be flexing from expansion and contraction.

Since it is facia on a gable end and there may also be a metal "L" roof edging, you could slightly force it apart, inject some wood glue, pilot drill some long screws up from the bottom of the board to suck it together, arresting the motion prior, to attempting the MH repair, again.

Latest posts

Back