Bedding for interlock

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew12valve

Reaction score
Hi, im a new member here, I have a simple question and would like some tips on a small project im doing on my driveway. I have a narrow driveway, which can fit four cars but none next to each other. Im going to extend the width of the driveway by taking out some grass (about 5') and putting interlock, whats the best materials to use to make a bed for that interlock, considering there will be cars parked on it? Thank you!

Welcome Andrew:
I would use a 5" bed of crushed limestone, dense-graded-agregate. That stuff can be leveled and tamped to make almost a 'concrete hard' bed. Another name for DGA is #6-10.
Glenn

Thanks Glenn.
Im assuming it would go like this: Weed screen, limestone, screening. That is all I need?

Hello Andrew:
Don't forget the tamping, best done with a mechanical tamper. You can rent one that has a sole plate under a gas engine and a handle like a lawn mower.
Glenn

Just one more thing to remember before you put the stone down.
Make sure you dig down deep enough to remove any top soil or dark organic looking matter. Sometimes folks have a tree root decomposing which was covered, or there was a bush or flower garden.
I have had to remove 12 inches of soil it went that deep.
The best one I ever found was the old 200 gallon gasoline tank next to the driveway which everyone had forgoten about.:D

Back