What can i use for clear roof materials?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnv713

Reaction score
I plan to install a skylight for my patio or leave a big area to lay down something translucent to allow some natural light in. What can i use for this type of project? Not really fond of corrugated roofing, the ripples in them just dont do it for me.

Polycarbonate sheet is $4/ft 8mm here in Houston. Hoping if I could findd something more affordable as I have a large area to cover.

My current roof is made of plywood and 3 tabs shingles attached to rafters.

I called customer service tarpaplex and they said I can use their see thru heavy duty tarp. I'm not too sure though.

clear-poly-tarps.html

it's going over a patio. Ill add some outdoor furniture and a BBQ so yes it's outdoor living. That is if the mosquitoes allow it to be :)

My current roof is made of plywood and 3 tabs shingles attached to rafters.

I called customer service tarpaplex and they said I can use their see thru heavy duty tarp. I'm not too sure though.

clear-poly-tarps.html

Go for a couple real skylights.

No but i would need a gazillion to cover my roof..it's about 30-35ft long. I might have to resort to corrugate clear roof from Homeddepot.l

I can't imagine the tarp will be satisfactory. It's not totally transparent to start with, and it will get less clear as it ages. It will need lots of support as it provides none of it's own.

In general, have you considered how much heat you will trap with a large clear roof of any kind?

Sorry for the late reply. I went with the clear corrugated roof. Im using them for part of the roof not the entire cover as that would trap too much heat as you stated.

Back