Attic decking? Weight concerns

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rt4me

Reaction score
I purchased a house last year and have been tackling little projects here and there but I'm a novice when it comes to most home improvement topics.

I have an unfinished attic above a 2 car garage. There is an access hatch with a small amount of decking in place and I wanted to add a pull down stair and additional decking for storage. However while doing some reading, I've come across mention that you don't want to use attics for storage if there are prefabricated trusses in place. To show how much I don't know about homes (I've always lived in apartments), I don't know how to identify what a prefab truss is.

I'd planned on letting a contractor handle the pull down stairs but I was going to add the decking. However, I don't know if it's unsafe for my house and I'd like to get some opinions before diving in. I've posed a few pictures of what the space looks like below. Can someone give me there opinion of whether or not the structure could support additional decking or the changes needed for a ladder?

Thanks in advance.
I'd post a link to the whole gallery but this is my first post and I'm not allowed yet. I know the insulation needs replacing, that's on the list too.

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

Back