Laying Flagstone

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2horn

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am planning on laying some flagstone in our backyard for a small patio area (about 200 sq ft.) It will be used for our patio furniture.

Based on what I have seen I am going to use a layer of gravel as a base and then sand on top prior to laying the flagstone. Anyone have any tips on whether this is the best way to proceed or if I am way off base? Living in Toronto there is obviously freezing issues to deal with in the winter and I want to consider those as well.

Also, if anyone has any tips re: borders as I have to slightly build up one side of the area due to a levelling issue.

Thanks!

Stuart.

Gravel and sand is fine. You could also do only gravel. It will depend what you want in the joints between the stones. If the stones are set in sand you will fill the gaps with sand. If they are set in gravel you will fill the joints with gravel.

The hardest part of the project is getting the base level and flat. As for a boarder. You could use some of that plastic edging for pavers after you bring up the grade. If its a significant change you could build a wall. This could also be done with the same flagstone. Sort of a stacked stone wall. That wall would need mortar to hold the stones in place. There are some new adhesives in a caulk tube that would work as well. Build that wall, or change you grade before you start laying your base.

Back