Bathroom Fan Wiring Issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaedence

Reaction score
Hi There,

I moved into a house a few months ago and have since realized a lot of details were missed or done incorrectly. The one I'm currently trying to figure out is the bathroom fan. Since moving in the fan did not work. I finally got around to pulling the cover down figuring the motor was dead. It turns out someone unplugged the motor and that is why the fan wasn't turning on. Good news right?

Not really. I plugged it back in and it turned on right away but it turns out the switch on the wall doesn't turn it off. It is a wall plate with two switches. One for the light and one for the fan but it does not react when you rock the switch to either position. The only reason I know that it is connected to the fan is because when I unscrewed it from the wall it would randomly shut off and turn back on. I tried to replicate it by rotating the switch to different angles but could not reliably distinguish which wire was the one that made it go off and on.

I have attached some images of the wiring hoping that someone might be able to offer a solution to the problem. It is the left hand switch Thanks.

20150427_201432 - Copy.jpg

20150427_201426 - Copy.jpg

20150427_201412 - Copy.jpg

The switch in your left hand has a wire poked into a hole in the back, remove it and hook it the other screw.
That should make it work but while you are there, the two black wires on the first screw is wrong. there should be a short wire to each switch and joined to the other black wire with a wire nut.

You can test the switch by removing one of the wires. If the fan goes off then the switch is likely bad.

Back