Painting Wood Siding Woes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kai

Reaction score
My house was built in the 1940s and is a California Ranch with stucco on the bottom half and wood siding on the top half. Over the years that I've owned it I've painted it myself once and had it painted professionally a couple of times. To my dismay, the paint on the wood siding where there is no overhang to protect it has always started to blister and peel within two years (fortunately the stucco looks fine).

The last painter said that the siding is redwood and took special care to prep it properly. He is also dismayed that it peeled relatively quickly.

I'm starting to prep it again myself and wonder if there are any suggestions out there? Oil based, stain-blocking primer? Acrylic latex top coat? Or some other combination?

Thanks for any help!

Sand and pressure-wash the siding. Brush the siding with a stiff bristle brush or broom to remove all the sanding dust. Apply a good coat of oil-based primer and add some boiled linseed oil to the primer to enhance penetration and to add some much-needed moisture to the wood. Caulk all joints and splits in the wood with a good acrylic caulk. Finally apply two coats of a good acrylic latex finish.

Latest posts

Back