Risk of Explosion When Soldering Drain Pipe?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travelover

Reaction score
My house, built in 1966, has all copper plumbing, including drain pipes. I have discovered a dripping drain pipe connection that takes the bath sink waste water away (in the wall, just downstream from the J trap).

If I use a torch to take this apart and resolder it, am I risking an explosion from the sewer gases in the drain pipe? I'm on a septic system, if that is pertinent.

Thanks in advance.

Just kidding...the gas should not build up...that's what a vent is for . Although better safe than sorry...blow some compressed air through the lines if you need to and open the tank cover if you really are not sure.

I have never heard of it...but stranger things have happened.:eek:

Just a follow up - I sweated in a new fitting with no problems. I gave it the sniff test and decided the risk was minimal. I'm still surprised the copper pipe has a hole corroded in it. Maybe too much drain cleaner?

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Hey Travelover:
I think we have all been disappointed with copper. It not only corrodes through in the DWV but it also wears through on the back side of ells.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back