DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > "Sweat spots" on basement floor

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:22 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1129 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 1846

Default "Sweat spots" on basement floor

Let's just say my basement renovation project is a long-term thing. I've started and stopped on it so many times it's starting to get silly.
For the most part, my walk-out basement is dry. But in the warm weather the floor gets these sweat spots...a small area of dampness here and there. Water doesn't form because it has enough ventilation, but as I am discovering now that I want to put flooring down, if I put plastic over the floor, the sweat spots become wet spots.
i have tried concrete resurfacer and I have treated with lithium silicate, but I have not slowed it down enough to cover with the vinyl floor covering I plan to use.
So what's my next step? Epoxy? Do I have to drill to relieve the pressure? Can I pipe to the outside on the lower side (the walk-out side) with some kind of open pipe system?

Old 10-30-2017, 10:42 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2914 Times on 2555 Posts
Likes Given: 4800

You have high water table and fill under the floor that does not allow movement to the low side. If you have a drain across the walkout. you may need to trench out from the wet areas. The perimeter around the high side is not working.