weird fungus on our sliding door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laeichmeyer

Reaction score
Hello, we just noticed this strange white fungus growing on our door today. It wasn't there last week. It has been a little wet the past few days here but the door has seemed dry. This is an interior surface of a wood door, there is no other mold/fungus anywhere else on the doors. Any idea what may have caused this? There are little black spores in it. What is the best way to remove it? Do I need to worry about these spores spreading in the house?

20140612_184723.jpg

Ewwww .... Gotta kill that sucker. Eliminating the moisture stops the growth of fungus but the spores will remain viable so you have to kill them too. Bleach will only kill the surface stuff but not the internal spores. Once the moisture is gone, the spores go dormant ... waiting to return!

Happily, Boron ( disodium octaborate tetrahydrate) kills existing fungus and eliminate future infestations. This is NOT the same thing as Boric Acid. I believe 20 Mule Team Borax is the preferred stuff. At least one cup per gallon of water creates a solution which should kill the spores.

Boron is "water diffusible" so it will actually use the elevated moisture to pull the boron deep into the wood. Borates defuse through wood drawing into the highest points of moisture leaving behind the residue, which fills the cellular structure of the wood with the chemical, thus preventing decay fungi and infestations of other wood destroying pests.

I have to wonder if it's even a fungus. Looks to me like it's some kind of cacoon. I would just scrape it off and wash the wood with a cleaner that won't damage the finish.

I would clean this up and wipe down the area with a little bleach water.
Spoors are everywhere and when the conditions are right they will grow, so now that you know the condition was right for this growth, it is a good time to have a good look thru the house for any other hints of trouble, other windows and doors, behind furniture and in corners of closets.

Back