I'm not sure where to ask this and...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

time2remodel

Reaction score
I am losing my mind trying to find out the answer. Took in this question to a local hardware store but it has teenagers who didn't know much.

Our home was built in the 40s. It has 3 old style gravity registers. They're bulky and an eyesore, to me. They are not as nice looking as what it seems in image. Ours are white and paint is chipping and the lines are all curvy.

They release our cold/hot air. We are hoping we can convert it to a more modern look.

Please help? Thank you!

PicsArt_1433055992846.jpg

If those are air returns they use the space between the studs as a plenum. In that case you can, and you can even move them above the baseboard trim.

Is it a cold air return , or a supply run ? Cold air returns typically use the wall studs and the floor joists under the floor as a duct chase.

If it's a cold air run then you could change the grill and fix the wall to adjust the size change.

If it's a supply run there is a duct feeding the grill. Your 2nd picture would be a boot that looks like this. your looking at somthing like 12"×2" square cut through the floor tight to the wall. The grill covers the hole. Connect ductwork in basement to it. Probably a 6" round inlet.

Your 3rd pic is a wall register. The sheet metal fitting looks like this.the duct comes up in the wall cavity. The square dimension depends on the grill size you want. The duct that feeds it will be oval or rectangle as to fit in the wall. In the basement you would change size again to adapt to what you have . Maybe a oval to round 90 boot.

buffalo explains it pretty well. I would suggest removing one grill to see what's behind it. The size of the hole will determine the size of the cover. The shape of the cover is a relatively aesthetic choice, as long as it covers the hole. If you are not ready to change or modify/repair the baseboard trim, that will also affect your choice.

If it is a supply duct, you should also make sure it has a louver so it can be adjusted.

Latest posts

Back