Repairing loosen flagstone joint cracks – Polymeric Sand VS Mortar VS Envirobond?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil_edwards123

Reaction score
Recently seeing cracks in the flagstone joints and the stones are starting to loosen up.

I would like to repair the joint cracks before they all fall apart. How can I tell what kind of original joint material was it? I noticed a few ant sand hills amongst the cracks and so I figured it was polymeric sand.

Do I need to remove all the old existing joints before putting new joints? Or can I just patch up the cracks by putting another layer on top of it?

And what’s the best material for this kind of repair? Polymeric sand? Mortar? Cement? Or Envirobond?

I’ll pose a couple of pics.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

Looks like the slate was laid in cement. The pix aren't close enough for me to pick up any detail about sand. Polymeric sand is not intended to be used under the stone. It is not a substitute for a bond. It is best used in between pavers instead of traditional sand. probably not applicable to anything I see in the pix.

Latest posts

Back