Another GFI question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outbacker

Reaction score
I had a breaker trip yesterday and I reset the breaker, and all was fine. The bathroom has a GFI outlet and it was on this circuit that tripped, and now the GFI will not reset. I pressed the test button, then the reset button several times. Is my GFI toast and do I need to replace it, or is there some trick to resetting it?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all.

Hello Outbacker:
First you should check to see if there is something downstream from the GFCI that could be the problem. Then, if there is nothing downstream, its time to replace the GFCI.
Glenn

What made the breaker trip? If you pull the gfi out of the wall, is there power on the line in wires? And when you push the reset button does it buzz, pop back out, or just not seem to click in?

My wife started turned on the hair dryer while the electric fireplace was on in the other room, and they are both on the same circuit. When I try and reset the GFI, it does nothing. It is almost like there is no incoming power. I have not pulled the receptacle yet to check for incoming power. I suppose that is tomorrows chore.

Thanks for the replies.

Keep in mind that most GFCI receptacles require voltage to be present to be able to reset them. If you have no incoming voltage, the GFCI will not reset. You may want to verify the incoming voltage to this receptacle before replacing it. If there is no voltage work your way back towards the circuit breaker. The most common cause of voltage loss while under the load you described is loose connections.... sometimes in wire nuts and other times on the receptacles themselves (esp. the receptacles with the slots on the back where the wire can be pushed in).If you do have voltage present, remove the wire on the LOAD side of the GFCI and try to reset. If this does not work... replace the GFCI. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back