Finding history of our house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topher5150

Reaction score
So the wife and I went to check out the local museum, and as usual my wife started making friends. They got to talking about our house, and the lady she was talking to made it seem like house we just bought had some historical significance in the area. She believes the street that it sits next to was named after the family who originally built it. Would the city have information like this?

My first house was an 1880’s house and before the closing I asked the attorney if she could put together a little history as she had to send someone to the courthouse anyway to search the title and all that. She gave us a nice one page report on the house and owners and all. Come to find out my house was built by a guy named Birdy Cooper.

Court House is the place to start along with the internet.

Often in densely populated areas information you are seeking may be housed in several different offices.

Building permits may be in the planning/building dept., or separated.

Successive ownership in a recorders office.

Street dedication, including water and sewage in public works or engineering.

A well established, long standing, surveyor may have maps exceeding those of the municipality.

Archiving is interesting, as are the stories that accompany them.

Do not overlook the local historical society and library.
I got lucky one time working on a 100 plus year old house, the electrician I hired mothers had been born in that house and had pictures of the orginal house without all the add on's.

If it was an important house and you can guess at the age, the newspaper may be able to help. So better than just dates you may get a story that goes with it.

Latest posts

Back