DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Improper plumbing & trying to remodel bathroom/laundry

Old 06-11-2017, 06:22 AM  
zannej

Liked 446 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 2590

Cat stepped on my keyboard and erased my post. LOL.
Since I'm trying to stay off my feet while my ankle recovers, I've got a lot of stuff spinning around in my head.

I know some people can't load pdf files so I got images of some of the specs for the tub and shower units I plan to use. My problem is there are so many lines all so close together I have a hard time getting my brain to visualize it in 3D.

For B1 there is the Sterling Advantage.

Am I just blind, or does it not show how thick the edges of the tub are? I *think* the tub drain is 14-1/4" from the back wall (from the studs). I'm actually hoping to get the version of this without the backers so I won't have to worry about them conflicting with oddly placed studs. I know that one of the studs for the south wall is about 21-1/2" from the edge instead of 16".
Am I interpreting it correctly that the lip above the overflow is about 2-1/4" and the drain is 5-1/2" horizontally from the overflow & 7-3/4" from the side wall? Front tub lip is 3-1/2"? Surround walls 1-5/8" thick?

Then there is the shower for B2. Sterling Ensemble.

I was trying to figure out how much space was between the raised portions of the shower pan but fortunately Sterling CS answered my question about that. They said that the direct-to-stud walls are 1-5/8" thick and the front threshold is 3" wide; this leaves an interior measurement of approximately 56-3/4" L x 25-3/8" W for shower seat.
From what I can tell from the specs, the shower drain is 13-7/8" from the back wall & 8-1/2" from the side wall. And it looks like the minimum span from open studs from side to side is 60-1/8". Which means I'm going to have to notch the studs in the left wall a bit since it's only 59" with the super thin wall panels on.

Now my problem is figuring out what drain to get. I'm a bit confused by the measurements in their drawings. I know it will need a round drain, but I have no clue what drain to get other than that. I've asked about it but am still waiting for a response from Sterling. They will probably recommend a Kohler drain.

I'm going to try to accumulate a list of stuff to buy and figure out how much it is going to cost and then if it is too expensive, I will figure out where I can substitute cheaper stuff. My tastes in the fixtures is a bit pricey. LOL. There's a really cool Kohler PureFlo overflow cover and drain that requires the PureFlo overflow kit and both are over $40 each. I'll probably end up getting a Danco or something instead.

Also, just for fun, here are the specs on the toilet for all 3 bathrooms:

Edit: Found the specs for the tub-- although they are shown for the right-hand drain-- it's basically the same but mirrored.

Last edited by zannej; 06-11-2017 at 09:38 AM.