Grounding dryer vent

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD_35226

Reaction score
I purchased a townhouse for my son to go go college. The dryer vent is shared with the neighbor and goes 30/40 feet down a common wall to the outside back. Was not happy with the air flow as my son described how hot the dryer was getting. He is a boy so he really does not do laundry at home, so it must really get hot.

So last weekend I ducted the dryer vent out the front of the town house through the garage, up to the hip roof and out the eve. Yep.. a long run. Added a booster fan and now getting some serious air flow.

Now for my question.. with that long run of metal with air and lent going through I'm concerned about static build up. If I get a discharge with all that dry lent.. may cause a fire.

I have two options.. one is to use the ground that is part of the wiring of the booster fan. The other option is to use the copper pipe on the hot water heater. Both options are easily wired.

Thoughts?

Before the booster it will be grounded to the dryer, if you don't think there is continuity thru the booster then you could just add a strap or wire past it.

That will easily be done. The booster housing is plastic, so I'm sure there is not continuity.

Will add a strap or wire this weekend.

Thanks

JD

Did you try cleaning the existing duct? Either way you route the hot air, if the duct isn't cleaned periodically the risk is the same. Seems to me the static is less of a threat than the clogged vent.

Back