Need help from intercom system professionals.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsel

Reaction score
Last year graduated from a electrical trade school.Since i got certified been doing side electrical jobs mostly repairing Lee Dan and Tektone audio intercoms systems . Was thinking to take it to the next level and make some business card with my name saying light electrical jobs and servicing audio intercom systems. My question is : is it legal to service just audio intercom systems in ny whithout having a license ?

Last year graduated from a electrical trade school.Since i got certified been doing side electrical jobs mostly repairing Lee Dan and Tektone audio intercoms systems . Was thinking to take it to the next level and make some business card with my name saying light electrical jobs and servicing audio intercom systems. My question is : is it legal to service just audio intercom systems in ny whithout having a license ?

I'm not a pro, but my guess is it might depend on how much you charge. I know where I live, if a person does a job for more than a certain amount of $ without a license, they get in trouble.

I'm going to take a guess and assume that you probably do need to get a license though. And it has to be specific to either be residential or commercial or have both licenses.

Just call your local Electrical Inspector but beyond that....you're in NY...that alone should give you a hint.

There is some grey area here.
Would the term "servicing" include installation? If so you need to be licensed.

Possibly need to pull permits so a license would be needed. Also some locales require a permit for low voltage wiring.

Since you are asking a question that has a state-specific answer, you need to ask local officials. I guess that the intercom part of your business does not require a license, but any electrical you do would require one

Back