Moving light box

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
My basement is unfinished.

In one room, the lights are not bright enough, or even what I would want in that room.

Part of the problem is the box that the light hooks into was mounted to the floor boards, not the joists or a piece of wood between the joists that would be at the same level of a finished ceiling.

After I shut off the power at the breaker panel, and after I verify that there is no power to the box, can I simply put a board between the joist and then relocate that box to that board?

Bringing the box to the eventual finished ceiling level, and securing the supply within 9" of the box, allows you to use it as a "J" box for additional fixtures.

Bringing the box to the eventual finished ceiling level, and securing the supply within 9" of the box, allows you to use it as a "J" box for additional fixtures.

There are currently 2 light fixtures in this room. There would not be a need for more lighting, unless I really wanted to waste electricity.

Besides, all junction boxes must be accessible, which means there would have to be some sort of cover in the eventual finished ceiling.

There are currently 2 light fixtures in this room. There would not be a need for more lighting, unless I really wanted to waste electricity.

Besides, all junction boxes must be accessible, which means there would have to be some sort of cover in the eventual finished ceiling.

I think he meant , when you have moved this light, you could branch from it.

Correct, and I was following the OP's lead;"In one room, the lights are not bright enough, or even what I would want in that room."

A fixture can be the "cover" for a J box, as well.

The box is now moved, fixtures installed, and power back on. No popped breakers, no fizzle, no flickering light, and now smells of burning electrical.

I'm just gonna bet that he meant to write "no smelling of burning electrical". If he doesn't correct it in a day or so, then I would be worried that the fire department has been there ;):eek::eek:

I'm just gonna bet that he meant to write "no smelling of burning electrical". If he doesn't correct it in a day or so, then I would be worried that the fire department has been there ;):eek::eek:

I see the error in my words.

No smelling of burning electrical.

If I smelled anything electrical or plastic, I would have killed the breaker and opened it up.

Moral of the story, do not be concerned of what others say, as long as you did it correctly, there is no cause for concern.

Back