Intro from new Indiana members

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmrats

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!! My name is Monnie Sims. My husband Larry and I plan to build a new "Eco Friendly" pole barn as soon as we can get his retirement paperwork done an started. Larry doesn't like to type much but he'll be here to ask questions. :eek: along with me. We've been married 14 years now an this will be out first "new home" together. We intend to build it as a keeper an our last one too! :D

We BOTH want heated floors. No water heater. Thoughts on the best way to heat an a good backup system. We have terrible water also. We'll have loads of questions.

Thanks for having us!
Larry & Monnie Sims
[email protected]
Tell City, IN

Hello Monnie & Larry and welcome,

Let me ask, why heated floors?

If you decide to go that route then you'll have to use electric radiant floor heat. This type of heat is expensive. The last time I priced this for a customer it was running over $800 per 150sf installed in our area. If it gets damaged the entire room looses heat and it is difficult to fix.

If cost is a factor, Let us know what other options you're considering.

Hope this helps (hth), Doug

Welcome Monnie and Larry:
You are in a good area to build green; as they would say in Miami, "You live in the woods". You also live close to the Cannelton Tile company, which (I think) makes floor tile too.
To make a feasible heated floor you could use PEX tubing, either in concrete or fastened to the bottom of the subfloor (Google radiant floor heat for lots of info) and heat the water with an outdoor, wood burning furnace. There should be plenty of free wood for the gathering and you would never have to pay a heating bill (especially since the ice storm).
As far as back-up, if the furnace is located down-hill from the house it would even circulate some water wthout a pump. A pump would take only about 700 watts to circulate the water and I recommend that you install a fixed generator unit that will run on LP or Natural gas (once you get it hooked up, the power can be off for a long time and you'll be sitting pretty). I am installing a 10 KW unit at my house which will power my Geo-Thermal heat pump and some other things.
Glenn

Glenn, if they can go with a water system what you suggest would be great. A good outdoor furnace wouldn't reuire much effort to keep stoked and the temperature would be well controlled too. Interesting!
dn

Back