help basement leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makaveli03

Reaction score
Hi,

I have cross-posted this on several forums due to the fact that I need a solution quickly. Weather forecast calls for continuous rain over the weekend and I can't spend all day vacuuming the water.

Hi, I have a basement leak where the water appears to be coming from above ground level. It starts from the ceiling of the basement and runs down the side of the wall and pools at the bottom. If that is the case, then the water must be entering somewhere on the roof, running down the entire length of the house, and ending up in the basement. This is isolated to one particular area in my utility room, spanning approximately 6-8 feet in length.
I have tried:
1. laying a tarp in front of problematic area outside of the house (when I didn't notice that the water leaking was above ground level)
2. cleaning the gutter all around the house.
Neither of these solved the issue.

I have attached pictures.

basementleak1.jpg

basementleak2.jpg

basementleak3.jpg

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is or recommend any solutions.

Thanks.

Welcome to House Repair Talk.

Post a picture of the outside wall and the soil next to the house. If you have soil draining toward the wall you need to divert it away and also what about gutter down pipe? Where does it drain to? Is there a door or window above this area?

Hey Olddog/newtrick,

I will get a picture of the outside ASAP.
The gutter drain pipe extends about 10 feet away from the house, down my backyard. There is a window located above the problem spot.

Although I initially thought it was a foundation issue, the leak is originating well above the ground level. My basement's ceiling is about 2 and a half feet above ground level.

Someone on another forum told me to use a hose and see where the penetration occurs on the outside. I think I will try that to see where the leak is originating.

Water testing with a hose is probably the best way to find a troublesome leak. Start at the bottom and SLOWLY work your way up the wall. Some leaks take a long time to migrate, you'll need a helper. Spray a small area at a time.

After looking at the pic again, look at the chimney the flue goes to. The source of the leak may be on the roof. What kind of chimney do you have?

Can you get on the roof yourself or look out of some windows to check the shingles? Otherwise I would call a roofer and have them come over and check. I've done this and they typically just charge a service call fee.

Back