Restaining cedar siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbrowndog

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a home with stained cedar siding. It hasn't been very well taken care of and is in desperate need of a restaining. Question is, the color that is currently on there is not the most desirable. What steps are needed to apply a different color? I'm actually looking at some colors that are a darker hue than what's currently there, so I'm hoping that a thorough wash and application is all that's needed.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Welcome BigBrownDog:
Using a darker stain over the old will help but the old may show through and make the color change. You may want to use a solid-color stain, which shows the wood grain but completely changes the color.
Glenn

Thanks glennjanie.

That was my initial thought as well. Lucky enough the stain that I'm leaning towards is a solid stain. Since this will be my first time staining an exterior, will a solid stain equally color old stained wood and any new replacement wood?

Hello BigBrownDog:
Yes the solid color stain will make it all the same color. The new work may require two coats though.
Glenn

Back