How do I secure this outlet?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the hole is not bigger than the face plate you could change the box to what the call old box. You would want to add spacer just behind so the box doesn't stick out.
If the hole is to big then change it out to a double.

If the hole is not bigger than the face plate you could change the box to what the call old box. You would want to add spacer just behind so the box doesn't stick out.
If the hole is to big then change it out to a double.

You mean a blue work box? The kind with wings?

Yes. :)............

I am replacing a self-contained trailer outlet with a standard outlet in work box. This trailer outlet has 3 Romex going to it.

Is my 20 cu work box big enough? It will need 3 pigtails in the box.

How much length of sheathing do I put inside the work box? (Uncut yellow Romex covering, or in this case white).

Also, will a 15 amp outlet work or does it have to be 20 amp?

Last edited:
I am replacing a self-contained trailer outlet with a standard outlet in work box. This trailer outlet has 3 Romex going to it.

Is my 20 cu work box big enough? It will need 3 pigtails in the box.

How much length of sheathing do I put inside the work box? (Uncut yellow Romex covering, or in this case white).

Also, will a 15 amp outlet work or does it have to be 20 amp?

The outlets are the same inside, some places you have to have it matching the breaker. I have never known the rule on box size so I just tend to go big.
Sorry I can't be mmore helpful here.

I don’t know the rules for fancy travel trailers, but that looks like it is under a sink. Should it be a GFCI or do fancy travel trailers have a central GFCI for the whole thing?

There may or may not still be a visible label on the romex, such as 12/3 or 14/3 indicating the conductor size contained.

You can power #12 conductors from a 15A breaker, but not #14 from a 20A.

Instead of a 4" box surface mounted you could install a 4" "J" box and a pigtail to the recep. box mounted in the cabinet face frame.

For conductor count, each conductor other than the grnd. are individually numerical, while the grnds., 3 in this case, are considered as a single conductor, numerically.

And any device with a strap such as a receptacle in this case counts as two. Jumpers don't count.

14 gauge is 2.0 cubic inches each
12 gauge is 2.25 cubic inches each

Try the box calculator. It will come in handy. I posted the link to it.

Also this is a handy guide to get a better understanding.

Back