Moving a circuit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Would any electrical pros check me on this please.

I have removed a jet spa bathtub, so now there is a receptacle that I don't need.

On the bathroom end is a GFCI receptacle where the pump plugged in.
On the panel end is a 20a breaker.
Yellow romex connecting them.

This appears to be a dedicated 20a circuit??

Q: [from the attic] I would like to cut the romex that feeds the bathroom [making that segment dead] and splicing a new length of romex redirecting the circuit to another part of the house. Possibly making it a dedicated circuit feeding my AV closet, which is currently on a shared circuit.

Q: regarding the cut dead segment, other than labeling each end 'DEAD', is there any other way of warning future people that the line is not live?

If you remove the outlet box you may be able to free the cable so you could pull all into the attic.

I think all you need to do is wire nut the black to white at both ends of a dead wire.

If you put in a junction box in the attic, put a note on the breaker box so some one else may have some idea where it is.

Shut the breaker off.

Cut a "J"box into the romex in the attic and run a new length of 12/2 romex to your AV closet.

Label the "J" box cover with the breaker #.

Leave the GFI box, recep and wiring there and label the stubbed off romex in the attic as abandoned GFI. Safeing it off is not necessary.

Correctly label the service panel to reflect the circuit change.

I would put in two jboxes in the attic. One for the end of the line going to the bathroom GFCI. Put that romex in there and mark that. Take the GFCI out of the box in the bathroom and put in a blank plate. Put in a second jbox in the attic. Take the line/romex that was feeding the bathroom GFCI and then connect another romex going to your A/V closet.

This way both are separated completely. Remark your circuit breaker. Also, more than likely now you will need to use an AFCI breaker for the circuit going to the closet.

And of course before you do this make sure you have shut off the proper circuit breaker.

Also "8888" just satisfy me for a moment please. I don't know your skill level but you seem to use the proper terminology. Please confirm that the circuit that is feeding the GFCI in the bathroom where the tub was connected is a single pole breaker. Also the GFCI in the bathroom is a receptacle where the tub plugged in is not something else. I would hate to find out later that this was a 240v circuit and you blew your A/V equip up.

Once a wire or cable has been disconnected from the power source you do anything you like with it.

Once a wire or cable has been disconnected from the power source you do anything you like with it.

This is correct. You can just leave it abandoned behind the finished wall if you would like.

But, in this case he may want to make use of that receptacle box in the bathroom one day in the future. So taking out the GFCI and putting a blank plate over it (for visual purposed in the bathroom) and then taking the other end in the attic and placing that in its own jbox and labeling it he can then at a later time reconnect power to it if he wants. Just thinking ahead. The blank plate costs a few pennies and the jbox a few more pennies so this way it is nice and neat and no wires hanging out in the attic just dangling.

But, in this case he may want to make use of that receptacle box in the bathroom one day in the future. So taking out the GFCI and putting a blank plate over it (for visual purposed in the bathroom) and then taking the other end in the attic and placing that in its own jbox and labeling it he can then at a later time reconnect power to it if he wants. Just thinking ahead. The blank plate costs a few pennies and the jbox a few more pennies so this way it is nice and neat and no wires hanging out in the attic just dangling.

While that may be the case in a free standing installation, and after the tub has been removed, I've found, in both installation and removal of built-in and enclosed systems, the GFCI does not face neither the open area under the tub nor the finished wall where the access is, but is facing the open area behind the access panel, making the recep. easily accessible for future use, repair and replacement, or as a sales point.

Where all that is needed is 3-3/8 romex connectors, 30" of 12/2, 6-red wirenuts, a "J"box w/cover and a couple of staples.

And you don't have the lay on your belly to reinstall a GFCI.

KISS principal.

Latest posts

Back