Installing closet in existing room?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryDM

Reaction score
Have any of you ever done this? I finished off a portion of our basement into a playroom for our kids. Now as they're getting older we're making it into a bedroom for one of the girls. We got an egress window put in and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't put in a closet. Thing is, I've never added a closet to an existing room before.
I've got ideas but I don't want it to look like a "box" was added to a corner of the room. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

*edit* Forgot to add, since it's a basement, it's got a drop ceiling.

Are other parts of the basement unfinnished where you could build a closet with just a door from this room? If not, a discription of where the window and door are in the room and the size of the room and window size would be useful.

Hey Terry . . . Sketch out the room layout and dimensions. Scan it or take a pic and post it back. That would really help. Make sure you indicate window and door locations.

Get back to us, y'hear!

Sorry guys. Been busy and haven't had a chance yet. I'll get a pic on here soon. Thanks!

So it doesn't stand alone and look like a box make it the full length or width of the wall or put it on the wall with the entrance door and you'll have a sort of foyer entrance way. You can't make a closet too large.
or
Center it on a wall with room on each side for beds or furniture.

If you want 120v lighting in the closet the NEC has many caveats.

So sorry I've been dealing with some issues and haven't had a chance to work on the room. This weekend that changes. I've got some pictures. They start at the new egress and work their way around the room. You'll see a small indentation to the right of the window where I would have thought would be a good place for the closet but it's not very deep (about 1.5') and not very wide. Let the suggestions roll in. Another few sets of eyes will greatly help! Thanks!

photo5.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

The more I thought about putting the closet in that space to the right of the window the more I didn't like it. I think it would look too weird right up next to the window like that.

Apparently I can only add 4 pics at a time. Sorry. Here's the last pic:

photo4.jpg

I would look at a walk in closet to include the post on you left as you enter the door. As you other door is a slab door a short door for the closet won't look so bad.

Alright.... that's an idea. I hadn't even considered something like that. That's why I come around here. Ideas that I would never think of. Thanks Neal.

When ever possible, work a post into wall, as the area around it is useless anyway.
I'm sure others will see thing differently, good luck.

And just to keep some room available , you could use 3/4 inch finished or AC plywood for the outside walls.Keeps the walls thinner, no sheetrocking to do,and looks fine. Kind of like a piece of furnture is when it is built. Put in a few 2x4's on the inside where you need them and paint them the same color.
It's only a basement closet,:D hope this helps.

Back