math help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frodo

Reaction score
I need some math help, yeah, I know I should know this.
but I am a product of common core..just pass em, get em out of here
LOL

Frodo has a 3'' circle , he wants to drill 1/16'' holes in the circle and leave 12%
of the area not drilled.
how many holes does Frodo drill ?

for extra credit.

the circle has a 5/8'' circle that is NOT counted in the total area

3" Circle with 5/8" circle not in question inside that circle with 12% retained solid surface you are looking at 90.725 holes drilled at 1/16"

I really don't know hwy we are not on the metric system, it is so much easier to do math that way in measurements. Math is my only strong point and I failed out of pre-algebra then dropped out of school.

Take those numbers for what you paid for them as I could be wrong.

I converted everything to MM then used 3.14 R squared to get area, minused out the 5/8" area and the 12% area then divided remaining area by area of 1/16" hole to get number of holes. Someone may want to check that.

Last edited:
Now you need to give him the drill pattern so that holes are all uniform spacing. ;)

that is a lot of holes, i better get 3 bits

thank you sir

What kind of a drill can you buy for 37 ½ cents. :p

I might have to teach a class on how to hand sharpen a 1/16 drill on a pedestal grinder.

3" Circle with 5/8" circle not in question inside that circle with 12% retained solid surface you are looking at 90.725 holes drilled at 1/16"

I ran the numbers in english. and got 1936.83 holes. and no I am not going to check my math

started out with a pattern....

DSCN3408.jpg

So the answer is someplace between 90.725 and 1936.83. I’m thinking in this case round down as a drill might drill oversize but rarely drills undersize.

Back